WNBA Brasil
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps

Ir para baixo

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps Empty Jackson unlikely to return to Caps

Mensagem  i.love.LJ.e.ervilha Sáb Jan 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Jackson, who led the Capitals to four WNBL championships, currently plays for Russian side Spartak Moscow and for the Seattle Storm in the United States.

She is reported to have said that while she will play in Australia again, it is likely to be with the Sydney Uni Flames.

Capitals coach Carrie Graf says the news is not a great surprise.

"She hasn't played here in Canberra for the last two or three years," she said.

"We've won a championship without her, we've been to the play-offs without her, so Lauren's certainly not a fresh part of our team.

"So I think the Capitals stand on our own. We've had a great time with Lauren, I'm sure she'll continue to add something to the WNBL if and when she comes back over the next few years."

Graf said she had not given up hope of Jackson turning out for the Capitals again.

"Lauren's only 27, she'll have at least another 10 years in her career if she so chooses," she said.

"We'd like to think that at some point she may come back here as a retirement season or something like that, but a lot of different things can happen in the next five or 10 years.

"So whatever happens with Lauren Jackson, I know Canberra as a city and certainly the Canberra Capitals will wish her all the best."
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha

Feminino Número de Mensagens : 4976

http://www.lauren.eu.to aqui.com

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps Empty Jackson calls time on Capital course

Mensagem  i.love.LJ.e.ervilha Sáb Jan 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Lauren Jackson is set to forgo the chance of a testimonial season with the Canberra Capitals and instead play with arch-rival the Sydney Flames.
Jackson, who led the Capitals to four WNBL championships during a dominant period from 1999, yesterday committed to a return to the Australian league but indicated it was unlikely to be in Canberra.

The 27-year-old set off for Russia this week to rejoin her teammates at club Spartak Moscow Region in the Russian national competition and in the European League.

She has spent the past three weeks with family in Albury.

While she will continue to return to Canberra — the city she called home for a decade — for visits, the chances of Jackson again suiting up for the Capitals appear slim.

“I’ll never say never because with me, that’s just the way it is, but I live in Sydney when I come back now so it would make more sense to play there,” Jackson said.

“Canberra is always going to have a special place in my heart and I always said there would be a chance of me playing there again but there are so many options for me in Sydney.

“I want to study when I come back and I’ve spoken to the uni there already about some possible options, I’ve spoken to the club about possibly playing with them so while nothing’s definite, Sydney is a really good option for me I’d say.”

Jackson made a name for herself in Canberra, initially playing for and leading the AIS to its inaugural WNBL crown in 1998-99.

She then joined the Capitals and led them to four titles before succumbing to rich international clubs.

She was first lured by the big money when she was paid $100,000 to play five games in Russia in 2005.

Early the following year she quit the Australian league to play with the Seattle Storm in the WNBA for about $110,000 per season.

She still plays for the Storm and also plays for Spartak in Russia during the Australian summer on a contract worth about $500,000 per season.

According to the BRW rich list, Jackson earned $1.2 million in 2007.

Jackson said she was likely to continue to chase the overseas market for another three years.

“The money may not be around forever so at this stage it would be stupid of me to say it’s not about the money because it is,” she said.

“It’s more about the money now than it’s ever been because I can set myself up.

“What do I do when I retire? I don’t know. Maybe I work 9-5, maybe I coach, maybe I lie on a beach for the rest of my life.”

Canberra Capitals coach Carrie Graf hoped Jackson would return to play for the Capitals but accepted it was unlikely.

“We’re realistic,” Graf said.

“It’s not that she’s grown out of Canberra but it’s a bit like everything in life in that you change and your motivations change. Sydney would probably be her next stop, I’d say.”

The Canberra Capitals return to the court for tonight at Southern Cross Stadium against the AIS.
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps Empty Canberra not part of the action for Jackson

Mensagem  i.love.LJ.e.ervilha Sáb Jan 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Lauren Jackson is set to give up the chance of a testimonial season with the Canberra Capitals and instead play with arch-rival side the Sydney Flames.
Jackson, who led the Capitals to four WNBL championships during a dominant period from 1999, committed yesterday to a return to the Australian league but indicated it was unlikely to be in Canberra.The 27-year-old flies back to Russia today to rejoin her teammates at club Spartak Moscow Region in the Russian national competition and in the European League.

The Opals captain has spent the past three weeks with family in her home town of Albury.

While she will continue to return to Canberra the city she called home for a decade for visits, the chances of Jackson again suiting up for the Capitals appear slim.

''I'll never say never because with me, that's just the way it is, but I live in Sydney when I come back now so it would make more sense to play there,'' Jackson said.

''Canberra is always going to have a special place in my heart and I always said there would be a chance of me playing there again but there are so many options for me in Sydney.

''I want to study when I come back and I've spoken to the uni there already about some possible options, I've spoken to the club about possibly playing with them so, while nothing's definite, Sydney is a really good option for me I'd say.''

Jackson made a name for herself in Canberra, initially playing for and leading the AIS to its inaugural WNBL crown in 1998-99.

She then joined the Capitals and led them to four titles before finally succumbing to the rich international circuit.

She was first lured by the big money when she was paid $100,000 to play five games in Russia in 2005.

Early the following year she quit the Australian league to play with the Seattle Storm in the WNBA for about $110,000 per season.

She still plays for the Storm and also plays for Spartak in Russia during the Australian summer on a contract worth about $500,000 per season.

According to the BRW rich list, Jackson earned $1.2million in 2007.

Jackson said she was likely to continue to chase the lucrative overseas market for another three years before returning to Australia.

''It's more about the money now than it's ever been because I can set myself up,'' she said.
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps Empty Storm star Lauren Jackson: "It's about the money."

Mensagem  i.love.LJ.e.ervilha Sáb Jan 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Lauren Jackson, the international star power forward, hasn't revealed any decisions about whether she'll return to the WNBA, but she agreed to make a comeback in her native Australian basketball league. According to the country's The Canberra Times, Jackson (pictured right with ball) signed yesterday to play in the WNBL, but not with her former Canberra Capitals and with the Sydney Flames instead.

She lives in Sydney and said in the article that it makes sense for her to play there. Jackson, 27, just spent three weeks at her family home in Albury and is returning to Moscow to continue play with Spartak, where she makes about $800,000.

Jackson, who wants to continue school when she returns to Australia to play, most likely won't make her Sydney debut until 2012 in order to pursue big money overseas the next three years.

"It's more about the money now than it's ever been because I can set myself up," Jackson told the paper.

Well, that kind of statement doesn't sound good for Seattle's hopes of returning their leading scorer (20.2). Jackson, who's healthy after right ankle surgery, can only sign for $99,500 this season and if health is a concern to continue playing longer, a summer break would suit her best. Especially if she wants to keep trucking until the 2012 London Games. But when asked about that competition, Jackson said she could even see that far in advance -- noting that injuries play a part.

When Jackson does return to the WNBL, it'll be funny to witness her career move full-circle. She used to comment how she was the young pup among all of these older players and in three years, she'll be the age she once teased (30).

One thing is certain. With the WNBL thinking about moving to a June-September schedule, Jackson definitely won't be playing in the WNBA in three years. So, mark this as the beginning of your countdown to get used to pro basketball in America without the Aussie. You knew this day was coming.
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha
i.love.LJ.e.ervilha

Jackson unlikely to return to Caps Empty Re: Jackson unlikely to return to Caps

Mensagem  Conteúdo patrocinado

Conteúdo patrocinado

Ir para o topo